Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:30:19 -0800
From:      Randy Devol <randyd@rahul.net>
To:        "Alfredo M. Reodica" <areodica@mozcom.com>, freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Happy99.exe

This is a virus (or a Trojan horse).  Do *not* execute Happy99.exe. As long
as you do not execute it, you will not be infected.  If you have not
executed it, simply delete the attachment.

If you have executed it, do not send email to anyone until you have
repaired the damage.  You will need to replace your Winsock DLL (I think.
See the Symantec Virus Database for specific instructions about how to
clean your computer.)

Mr. Reodica's computer is infected and did not send it deliberately.  The
virus spreads itself by watching the outgoing mail queue and sending itself
to an address that it saw go by.

At 04:52 PM 3/25/99 +0800, Alfredo M. Reodica wrote:

>Happy99.exe

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-small" in the body of the message

-=O=- Randy

In "A Scanner Darkly," was Philip K. Dick foreshadowing Web commerce:
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's
hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other
forever from our living rooms."