Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:21:59 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Named Daemon Troubles

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 02:13:39PM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> Every time there is a mailing to one of the larger majordomo mail
> lists, its seems that the named daemon breaks. It only happens when
> this list goes out 2 or 3 times a month. If I kill named and restart
> so it re-reads the named.conf, it fixes the problem for a while
> during the process. But, it breaks again usually before the list
> send process completes (several thousand on the list). A
> stop/restart of named again fixes it again and don't have the
> problem show up until the list is used for another broadcast.

> I wonder if anyone could suggest a fix on this?? Here's a sample of
> the errors, which is a partial list:

> Jul 14 14:00:13 sage-one named[22098]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
> (ns)
> Jul 14 14:00:14 sage-one named[22098]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS ()

This error is caused by two main reasons:

Either: you're running a nameserver with the internet named.root hints
file on a machine without access to the internet root nameservers (or
conversely without the correct hints file but on the internet)

Or: your nameserver's cache of addresses is becoming corrupted.

As your nameserver does work correctly after restart, then it must be
the second reason.  You should be able to verify that by judicious use
of the 'ndc dumpdb' command.

> Am running FBSD-4.5 with named 8.2.4-REL

That's a fairly old version of BIND nowadays.  I'd try upgrading BIND
to version 8.3.3 or 9.2.1 --- both are in ports.

Nb.  There's nothing listed on the bind security page at
http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html for that version
except for the general `libbind' vulnerability as seen in
FreeBSD-SA-02:28.resolv, for which the cure seems to be a general
upgrade to the whole OS.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK