Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:14:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Zippy <seth@interport.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Zippy wrote:

> [1]  According to the developer I talked to, Microsoft's slogan for this
> project is "Bringing the Internet to Unix".

I hate to break it to the boys in Redmond, but Unix the only reason the
Internet came to them in the first place.

<sarcasm> It's good to see Microsoft becoming the foster parent of the
Internet, I must have missed the press release claiming ownership.
</sarcasm>

> [2]  My feeling is that it's worth their while to officially support a
> native FreeBSD port, since we already have the option of running Linux
> bins.  Since I think most people would rather run a native port than an
> emulated one (comments?), this gives Netscape an opportunity to "lock in"
> the FreeBSD userbase before M$ gets an opportunity.

Native applications are always going to run better the emulated ones, you
never have to worry about a specific case that hasn't been brought up
before.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -