Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 01:39:52 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows))

I think the big difference is that FreeBSD is very much a
user-supported thing -- it didn't grow because of marketing by IBM and
doesn't depend on things like that -- so it will survive, for the same
reasons linux will.  But the linux compatibility definitely helps it
attract more users.  I have persuaded at least two people to use it
who would not have done so if it couldn't run linux versions of matlab
and acrobat reader.  As the user community grows, more native versions
of software may happen.  But right now I don't think FreeBSD is in a
position to reduce quality of linux support and say "give me a native
version, linux emulation isn't good enough"...  very few vendors will
listen, and a lower quality of linux compatibility won't be good for
users.