Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:26:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier)
Cc:        cdf.lists@fxp.org (Chris D. Faulhaber), gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 / Slow SCSI Dell PowerEdge 4300

Gerard Roudier wrote...

> I have run some scenarii using multi-threaded IO streams under FreeBSD and
> result is that the overall performance results have been significantly
> better with tagged command queueing disabled. I used a Cheetah LVD and a
> DRVS LVD.
>
> What seems to happen when tagged command queuing is disabled, is that the
> IO scheduling policy can stay a long time (seconds) on one IO stream and
> then switch to another one, and so on ... This seem to be due (just
> guessing) to a side effect of the disksort algorithm that just makes the
> supposed multi-threaded IO streams become a succession of single-threaded
> IO streams that may each last seconds.

Yes, there could be an odd interaction between running multiple streams
with tagged queueing and the sorting algorithm.  I can certainly see how
this could present a problem.

> If I am right (fill free to fix me if needed), it is actually the OS that
> might be inadequate for tagged command queuing benchmarking. Bug or
> feature ? ;-)

If you'd like to test your theory about the disksort algorithm, try
replacing the bufqdisksort() in dastrategy() (sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c) with
bufq_insert_tail().  That way, the read/write requests will go through in
FIFO order.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry