Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:44:30 +0100
From:      stefan.sonnenberg-carstens@t-online.de (Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens)
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Strange load jumps

 Hi there.
 I've set up freebsd 4.4-RELEASE mashines running on IBM x330 series
 hardware. Both with SMP support compiled kernels, apache 1.3.22 and
 php 4.0.6 with sybase support to connect to an ms sql server.
 Both have 2 NIC online, one to get over a bigip loadbalancer to the
 internet, and one internal for database link.
 Both are running fast and stable, but sometimes the load goes up to
20,30 or
 even >140 for a few seconds and then comes relativly fast back down to
an
 avg of ~0.5.
 So the question is, why ?
 Both mashines have 1GB of RAM, a 1GB swap partition, two 866PIII procs
and
 an adaptec U160SCSI controller, which accesses a 9GB U160 disk.

 I also attach the kernel config file.
 Thanks in advance !

> [...]
> device  fd1 at fdc0 drive 1
> #
> # If you have a Toshiba Libretto with its Y-E Data PCMCIA floppy, #
> don't use the above line for fdc0 but the following one: #device  fdc0
>
> # ATA and ATAPI devices
> device  ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
> device  ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
> device  ata
> device  atadisk   # ATA disk drives
> device  atapicd   # ATAPI CDROM drives
> device  atapifd   # ATAPI floppy drives
> device  atapist   # ATAPI tape drives
> options  ATA_STATIC_ID  #Static device numbering
>
> # SCSI Controllers
> device  ahb  # EISA AHA1742 family
> device  ahc  # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
> device  amd  # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
> device  isp  # Qlogic family
> device  ncr  # NCR/Symbios Logic
> device  sym  # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
> options  SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40
>     # Allow ncr to attach legacy NCR devices when
>     # both sym and ncr are configured
>
> device  adv0 at isa?
> device  adw
> device  bt0 at isa?
> device  aha0 at isa?
> device  aic0 at isa?
>
> device  ncv  # NCR 53C500
> device  nsp  # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
> device  stg  # TMC 18C30/18C50
>
> # SCSI peripherals
> device  scbus  # SCSI bus (required)
> device  da  # Direct Access (disks)
> device  sa  # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> device  cd  # CD
> device  pass  # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
>
> # RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
> device  asr  # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID device  dpt
> # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for options! device  mly  # Mylex
> AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
>
> # RAID controllers
> device  aac  # Adaptec FSA RAID, Dell PERC2/PERC3
> device  ida  # Compaq Smart RAID
> device  amr  # AMI MegaRAID
> device  mlx  # Mylex DAC960 family
> device  twe  # 3ware Escalade
>
> # atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse device
> atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD device  atkbd0 at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
> device  psm0 at atkbdc? irq 12
>
> device  vga0 at isa?
>
> # splash screen/screen saver
> pseudo-device splash
>
> # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
> device  sc0 at isa? flags 0x100
>
> # Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console
> driver #device  vt0 at isa?
> #options  XSERVER   # support for X server on a vt console
> #options  FAT_CURSOR  # start with block cursor
> # If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the
> PCVT lines #options  PCVT_SCANSET=2  # IBM keyboards are non-std
>
> # Floating point support - do not disable.
> device  npx0 at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13
>
> # Power management support (see LINT for more options)
> device  apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
Management

> # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> device  card
> device  pcic0 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
> device  pcic1 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable
>
> # Serial (COM) ports
> device  sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
> device  sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
> device  sio2 at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
> device  sio3 at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9
>
> # Parallel port
> device  ppc0 at isa? irq 7
> device  ppbus  # Parallel port bus (required)
> device  lpt  # Printer
> device  plip  # TCP/IP over parallel
> device  ppi  # Parallel port interface device
> #device  vpo  # Requires scbus and da
>

> # PCI Ethernet NICs.
> device  de  # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
> device  txp  # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
> device  vx  # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
>
> # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code. #
> NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
> NICs! device  miibus  # MII bus support device  dc  # DEC/Intel 21143
> and various workalikes device  fxp  # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B
> (82557, 82558) device  pcn  # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs
> device  rl  # RealTek 8129/8139
> device  sf  # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
> device  sis  # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
> device  ste  # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
> device  tl  # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
> device  tx  # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
> device  vr  # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
> device  wb  # Winbond W89C840F
> device  wx  # Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card (``Wiseman'')
> device  xl  # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')
>
> # ISA Ethernet NICs.
> # 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
> device  ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
> device  ex
> device  ep
> device  fe0 at isa? port 0x300
> # Xircom Ethernet
> device  xe
> # PRISM I IEEE 802.11b wireless NIC.
> device  awi
> # WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 wireless NICs. Note: the WaveLAN/IEEE really #
> exists only as a PCMCIA device, so there is no ISA attachment needed #

> and resources will always be dynamically assigned by the pccard code.
> device  wi # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs. Note: the
> declaration below will # work for PCMCIA and PCI cards, as well as ISA

> cards set to ISA PnP # mode (the factory default). If you set the
> switches on your ISA # card for a manually chosen I/O address and IRQ,

> you must specify # those parameters here.
> device  an
> # The probe order of these is presently determined by
i386/isa/isa_compat.c.