Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:19:45 +0100
From:      Clem Dye <clem@bastet.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and ISDN support in the UK.

My apologies in advance if this question has been asked before, but as a list
and relative FreeBSD newbie, any help would be greatly appreciated on the
following.

I'd like to use my FreeBSD 3.3 system here in the UK to access my ISP via my
ISDN connection (which is up and running). I don't need 'phone handling etc.,
just the ability to bond both channels together for a 128K link on
outgoing-only calls. Ideally, I'd like to use a British Telecom (BT) Speedway
ISDN PCI Card. These are reasonably cheap here in the UK and work fine under
Windows 9x/NT4.0 etc. I've checked-out site http://www.freebsd-support.de/i4b/
but unfortunately that didn't give me enough information as to whether the BT
card was viable.

I seem to recollect that the BT cards use a third-party chipset which may
actually be recognised by the i4b software, but I'm having a tough time trying
to identify the components used. (BT are hopeless when it comes to providing
this sort of information).

Has anyone got the BT Speedway ISDN PCI Card running under FreeBSD in the UK?
If not, are there any other cards that I could use instead in dear old
Blighty?

I don't want to use Windows for my ISP access (and eventually, email handling,
routing, firewall etc.) but I do seem to recollect that Linux does support the
BT card (as a possible fallback), though I don't fancy Linux much either.

Anyone got any advice please?

TIA

Regards

Clem Dye