Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:10:08 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "'Alexander Best'" <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, 'Ron McDowell' <rcm@fuzzwad.org>
Subject:   RE: [PREVIEW] bsdconfig(8)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your feedback! Thoughts inline below...

Correction... cd /usr/src/usr.sbin

> > 	2. fetch
> http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig.120305.txz
> > 	3. tar zxf bsdconfig.120305.txz
> > 	4. cd bsdconfig
> > 	5. sudo make install
> >
> > HOW TO USE:
> >
> > 	bsdconfig -h
> > 	bsdconfig
> >
> > NOTE: If sudo(8) is installed, no need to run as root (bsdconfig will handle
> > this for you -- if/when root privileges are needed, you'll be prompted for
your
> > sudo(8) credentials).
> >
> > If you have an X11 display and have xauth(1) installed, try this in an X11
> > session:
> >
> > 	bsdconfig -X
> >
> > Some other things to try for fun:
> >
> > 	bsdconfig hostname
> > 		# jump directly to hostname configuration
> >
> > 	bsdconfig users
> > 		# jump directly to user management
> >
> > 	bsdconfig networking
> > 		# jump directly to network management
> >
> > 	bsdconfig defaultrouter
> > 		# jump directly to defaultrouter configuration
> >
> > 	bsdconfig nameservers
> > 		# jump directly to DNS nameserver configuration
> >
> > 	bsdconfig docsinstall
> > 		# jump directly to documentation installation
> >
> > 	bsdconfig timezone
> > 		# jump directly to timezone configuration
> >
> > 	bsdconfig timezone -X
> > 		# Configure the timezone using X11 GUI
> >
> > 	bsdconfig timezone -h
> > 		# See timezone usage (for which there are many options)
> >
> > ERRATA:
> >
> > "Documentation Installation" is fully functional
> > "Network Management" is fully functional
> > "Time Zone" is fully functional
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Login/Group Management" is mostly functional (group add/edit/delete not
> done
> > yet)
> >
> > Rest of the remaining modules are not functional yet.
> >
> > We continue to work very hard on this every day and look forward to any/all
> > feedback, comments, suggestions, and snide remarks.
>
> great work. a few questions or rather suggestions:
>
> 1) why are there two ways to exit bsdconfig? one being "X Exit" and the other
>    one being "<Exit bsdconfig>"?

If we change the label back to its default value of "Cancel", is it any
different? What exactly would one be cancelling (as nothing has been selected
yet)?

I rather like the renamed "Cancel" button.

Oh, and there's a lot more than 2 ways to exit bsdconfig(8):

(from the main menu)
1. Choose "Exit"
2. Select "Exit bsdconfig"
3. Press ESC on the keyboard
4. (X11-only) Click the "X" close widget
5. (bug) If TERM is set to something other than cons25, pressing SHIFT+TAB will
cause exit
6. (bug; Apple X11 only) If using X11 Forwarding to a Mac running Apple's X11
App, attempting to scroll a menu that is not scrollable with the mouse "wheel"
(including two-finger up/down gesture) will cause exit.

#5 remains as an open FreeBSD bug on the command-line and has already been filed
as PR bin/151229).

#6 remains as an open Apple bug in X11. Other bugs also exist in Apple X11 (like
the fact that pressing ENTER to dismiss a dialog causes subsequent dialogs to be
immediately dismissed as though the user is holding ENTER, though is not;
work-around is to only use the mouse when interacting with Xdialog(1) via
Apple's X11 App).

I don't see a problem with giving the user multiple ways out (and labeling each
correctly as such).

> 2) the highlighted first letters suggest that these are shortcuts. they work
>    great for the actual menu items, but for "<OK>" and "<Exit bsdconfig>",
>    pressing O and E doesn't work. in fact E is already taken by "Startup".

This simply isn't how dialog(1) works. I would suggest filing a PR against
dialog(1) but I think things are set in stone.

I perceive your issue to be with the highlighted first-letters of the buttons.

Mind you that I don't have control over this, it's the default functionality of
dialog(1) to do this.

NOTE: Xdialog(1) (enabled by passing `-X' for X11 GUI) does not do this. In
fact, Xdialog(1) doesn't even allow type-ahead for the menu items.

> 3) when bsdconfig starts the note regarding the packages shouldn't state
>    "Pascal". most people probably don't know what pascal is. ;) how about
>    VirtualBox or chromium? these packages are probably used by a lot more
>    users.

^_^ Agreed. Ron, can we change this?

Thoughts: I'm thinking that we should name some high-visibility software here.
Say... Firefox :-D

> 4) do we really need fdisk and disklabel? hasn't freebsd moved onto gpart
>    and glabel?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

I've been thinking that we should combine the Fdisk and DiskLabel menus into a
single menu that calls sade(8).

Thoughts?

Again, thank you for all the feedback, Alex.
--
Devin