Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2018 16:52:20 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Convert .flac and .ape to mp3

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 13:39:34 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > > What do you convert ape and flac audio files to mp3 with?
> > >
> > > multimedia/ffmpeg does not seem to support encoding to mp3 (only
> > > decoding), what else could I try?
> >
> > Huh? I'm using ffmpeg regularly to convert from mp4 or flv _to_ mp3,
> > this works quite well. Maybe you need to install an additional encoder,
> > plugin, or library if you're lacking mp3 support?
> >
> > 	% ffmpeg -i example.flv example.mp3
> >
> > It does what it says on the can. Works for years. :-)
> >
> > With ffmpeg's mp3 support, you should be able to convert from flac
> > or ape in a similar manner.
>
> I'm somewhat disappointed because ffmpeg does not seem to be able to
> split flac/ape files according to cue file, or extract track names
> therefrom and insert them into the mp3 file.

I wish there would be some "magical MP3 split" that acts upon
a specified silence (for example, 3 seconds) and splits the
file into "tracks" that could then be renamed...

> So eventually I will need to write a script to process all the *.ape
> files, probably with bchunk. Which brings the following question. If
> the file and directory names have spaces in them, a simple loop like
> this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for i in `find . -iname '*.ape'`
> do
>   do_something $i
> done
>
> breaks on spaces.
>
> What is the sh magic to handle such filenames?

There are two articles which I occassionally refer to,
indead of saying "don't use spaces". :-)

David A. Wheeler:
Filenames and Pathnames in Shell: How to do it correctly
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/filenames-in-shell.html

David A. Wheeler:
Fixing Unix/Linux/POSIX Filenames:
Control Characters (such as Newline), Leading Dashes, and Other Problems
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html

Those articles will provide you with the most robust
solution - and: no, just adding "quotes" isn't sufficient
in most cases. :-)

Also note: If you're starting to extract information from
an ID3 tag and want to turn that into a directory and filename
structure, you might find other characters than just spaces
that "misbehave" in shell context.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany