Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:37:24 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        Alex D'Elia <acme@enemy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 on Asus K8V SE Deluxe

--=-6eUjqFeNu38v2cU65maZ

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:23, Alex D'Elia wrote:
> * Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com> [041002 21:10]:
>=20
> > >=20
> > > That's good.
> > >=20

> > >=20
> > > Yes, that's the issue with linux compatibility on amd64..
> > > It seems like you'll be using computer as desktop, so I would suggest=
 that you=20
> > > switch to 32bit mode - it will be still (almost) as fast as in 64bit =
- and=20
> > > install i386 distribution. That way you will have much less issues wi=
th=20
> > > emulation/multimedia.
> >=20
> > 32-bit Linux emulation would be all he could use in 32-bit mode anyway.=
=20
> > Linux32 emulation works great for me and I have no significant issues
> > with anything running in 64-bit mode natively either.  The only
> > exception being the lack of a Java VM.  This is a well-known limitation
> > that will hopefully be addressed when Suns Java 5 comes out with a
> > source license in a few more weeks.
>=20
> exactly..... and actually this was a machine for users and also a machine
> for myself ( it was my first machine, which died after years of non stop
> running, because of an hardware problem ..... PCs :/ ....tz ! ).
> So i wont switch it because it would be no sense for me to get and
> amd64 and use it in 32bit mode.
>=20
> But what's that thing about Linux32 ??
> where do I find it ?

If you look in the freebsd-amd64 mailing list archive you will see all
kinds of discussion about it.  My kernel is built with 32-bit binary
compatibility by adding:

options         COMPAT_IA32             # Compatible with i386 binaries

and Linux 32-bit with

options         COMPAT_LINUX32
options         LINPROCFS

I do not think these are setup as loadable modules yet, but I might be
mistaken.  Loadable modules work great now too, so there is no reason
they couldn't be built as modules I should think.

The reason it is called Linux32 compat is that there are aspirations for
eventually adding Linux64 compat.

I think someone fixed the ports for linux_base so you should be able to
install that too.

> Guys, thanks a lot :) so you gonna get a login as soon as it's ready !
>     ( if you want, ofcourse ;^)

Thanks for the offer, but I have my AMD64 workstation and it is running
everything in 64bit mode plus Linux32 emulation ;)  Eagerly awaiting a
native JVM...

Cheers,
Sean

--=-6eUjqFeNu38v2cU65maZ