Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:23:09 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        dstenn@fanfic.org (Dennis Tenn), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New snap of sound code

> > Will there be any work re:AWE PnP autodetect code?  I love the fact that
> > it works but I was wondering if there will be anything done to the code
> > that will make it unnecessary for us to manually enter kernel config mode
> > to enable the card.  Just a thought.
>
> considering that PnP autodetect requires quite some effort in the
> code (to retrieve used resources from BIOS and check for conflicts
> with legacy ISA devices, and then it might still fail as it does
> in many BIOSes) and that with the "dset" patches the manual
> configuration only needs to be done once (and can be put in
> /kernel.config), I don't plan to put any work on this.

... but if anyone does I would be more than happy to pass on the
information I have assembled to date on what is required (and such
fragments of code as I have for this).  The real challenge (for me at
any rate) is dealing with calling the BIOS.  If you're an x86 stud
that's looking for a neat challenge, I could do with some help. 8)
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\