Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:01:40 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Ron Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 07:18:57AM -0800, Ron Rosson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Wes Peters was heard blurting out:
>
> > Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:
> > >
> > > Ummm.... This is getting a little old. I am no programmer but read this
> > > list to get insight on what things may not work or what might work.. It
> > > has saved my BACKSIDE many times. I am also a user of ETinc hardware and
> > > am aware of Dennis. I am also like I said someone who does not code. So
> > > go FIX IT yourself attitude gets kinda old. It happens on #FreeBSD on
> > > efnet all too much.
> >
> > So you agree that you and Dennis have some legal and/or moral ground to
> > stand on in DEMANDING that I and others donate our own personal time to
> > you for free, simply because you're incapable of fixing something your-
> > self?
> >
> > This argument has NOT been about whether the fxp driver needs to be fixed,
> > but rather whether Dennis or anyone can DEMAND time from FreeBSD developers
> > as opposed to asking them politely or proposing some remuneration so they
> > can afford to dedicate time to an individual problem.
> >
> > I think my stance on this is pretty clear, but just in case you haven't
> > gotten the message, those of you who think you have some RIGHT to DEMAND
> > my time can stuff it.
> >

> I guess my wording was off a little. I guess the point I was tring to
> make was missed.
>
> It is the go fix it yourself attitude I guess that gets me sometimes in
> both the mailing lists and IRC. There is some people in the user base
> that can not code but are able to find issues on there systems and would
> like to share them with either of the forums mentioned. I guess the
> better answer than the "Go fix it yourself" would be "Please submit a
> PR". This way both the project and the party involved can track the
> progress.

As someone who usual not codes, but helps finding issues. This is
my personal opinion from reading through this thread:

Dennis got told fix it yourself, after he has not provided any help
in getting down to the issue. I haven't seen in one of his email
what exact chip on what exact motherboard doesn't work. He also grossly
overstated the amount of people being affected by it.

> TIA
> --
> Ron Rosson              	... and a UNIX user said ...
> The InSaNe One                 		   rm -rf *
> insane@oneinsane.net      	and all was /dev/null and *void()

Regards, Ulf.