Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:36:56 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <mj001@rogers.com>
To:        Adam Stroud <adstro@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        Dave McCoy <mccoy@cet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting a dos file system

Adam Stroud wrote:

>Instal Samba.  I have a silimar situation, and Samba works great foe me.
>

>>I have small network at home, my system running freebsd and two other
>>systems running windoze. I would like to be able to mount one of the
>>logical dos drives on one of the windoze systems so I can transfer files
>>to it. Is it possible and how do I go about doing it?
>>
>>Any help is greatly appreciated.

>>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

You don't need Samba to mount a DOS partition on your FreeBSD
machine.  All it needs is a command such as
"mount -t msdos /dev/ad1s1 /mnt"
where ad1s1 is the name of the partition holding the DOS file
system, and /mnt is a valid, empty directory.

You need Samba if you want to work the other way around; ie
to read and write a FreeBSD filesystem from a Windows machine.