Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:26:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Heath <heath@hardy.mskcc.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Poor NFS performance with 4.0-stable

Hi,

On moving from 4.0-release to 4.0-stable I'm getting a big slow down in file
transfers over NFS.  Previously it was taking about 8s to transfer a 64Mb
file (100baseTX), so about 8Mb/sec.  Now it's closer to 20k/sec...  This is
when accessing both NFS servers running FreeBSD 4.0-release and Solaris 8.
Access speeds when the 4.0-stable machine is running as a server are also
very slow.  Access speeds between the other machines is at the 8Mb/sec
level.  Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?  The nic card is
an Intel EtherExpress Pro, and there do not appear to be any relevant error
messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg.  Any suggestions gratefully
received!

Simon