Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 01:36:51 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [kim@nexial.nl: Re: Getting NexTrieve]

-----Forwarded message from Kim Hendrikse <kim@nexial.nl>-----
From: Kim Hendrikse <kim@nexial.nl>
Subject: Re: Getting NexTrieve
To: wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de (Wolfram Schneider)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 00:31:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> Where can I get a copy of NexTrieve for FreeBSD?
>
> Wolfram

We develop it and currently sell it directly.

There's two versions of NexTrieve. A lite and a PRO version. The lite
version is $1000 USD and the PRO version is $5000 USD. Most people's needs
are sufficed with the lite version as the extra speed advantage of the
PRO version probably won't be required till after about 50MB of text in a
single database. Our pricing is based on a "per machine" price, so it
doesn't matter how many databases or virtual domains you index.
The PRO version is used by customers like our large newspaper customers
(http://www.limbu.nl/cgi-bin/limburger), or our own National web index of
New Zealand (www.searchnz.co.nz) etc, i.e. very large indexes. What the lite
version is missing from the PRO version is:

    - Ability to run a text retrieval daemon
    - Ability to constrain the search with boolean expressions of document
      properties

If you have any further questions, maybe I can best answer them on the
phone.

-----------------------------------Cut here-----------------------------------
                NexTrieve - fault-tolerant searching for WWW

Introduction

NexTrieve is a state-of-the-art "fuzzy" search engine for the web. NexTrieve
dramatically improves discovery time by an effective combination of
fault-tolerance, improved feedback and page preview functions.

Fault-tolerant retrieval

NexTrieve's high-speed pattern recognition algorithm is applied to the
contents of the "entire phrase". This means that spelling mistakes may be
present in any parts of the phrase and NexTrieve will locate the result. A
high context sensitivity allows NexTrieve to make effective use of multiple
mis-spelt words in context and allow locate so-called "stop words" in
context.

The importance of feedback

We believe that feedback is a critical element in effective text retrieval.
Title-only hit lists are not very suitable. Unless the document list is very
small, there usually isn't enough information present within the document
title to make a good decision. This forces the user to download, possibly
useless pages, in order to check visually the relevance of the result. This
can be a painful enough situation under normal circumstances, with many
providers (At least in Europe) overloading their available bandwidth beyond
reasonable limits. One compromise commonly employed is to display the first
few lines of the document. This is certainly an improvement, although this
only helps if the user query appears in the first few lines of the document.
NexTrieve will display "The most similiar couple of lines" to the user query
from the document, highlighted of course.

In addition, the user has the option of retrieving a "page-preview" of the
document. This preview contains much of the markup from the original html
document, including all images and functional links. Remember that images
also make up valuable part of the context. This facility can save very much
valuable time in "qualifying" a hit.

The fallacy of stop words

One common myth is that certain words, referred to as "stop word", occur too
frequently to be useful. The truth of the matter is that words always have a
context and this context enhances the meaning of the words in that context.
This is why poetry, which is very frequently composed of from "common
words", can exist. A very good example is the phrase "To be or not to be"
which is comprised entirely of so called stop words. NexTrieve's ranking
algorithm can effectively use stop words in their context. Effective enough
to bring this classic phrase to the top of the list when searching through
the complete words of Shakespeare
(http://www.nexial.nl/cgi-bin/shakespeare).

Features

   * Fault-tolerant
     Incorrect spelling may be present in any part of the query

   * Highly effective feedback
     NexTrieve employs an efficient two-stage feedback mechanism, which
     makes the optimum use of available bandwidth and user patience.

   * Indexes html, ascii and E-mail
     With more document formats in the pipeline.

   * Template-based user interface design
     Reduces user interface design to a matter of html page layout.
     Typically a user would build an html page how they want the engine to
     look and then replace the dynamic components with special tags that are
     replaced during searching.

   * Flexible
     Using using an extensible "tagged" output approach all user-interface
     and look-and-feel elements are provided outside of NexTrieve. Standard
     scripts are provided to translate this into a typical user-friendly
     form, but the user is free to use NexTrieve in many different types of
     application.

   * High context sensitivity
     Which means that even common words (Frequently referred to as stop
     words) in their context, can be put to effective use. This makes it
     possible to search for phrases such as the famous "to be or not to be"
     phrase from Shakespeare.

   * Small indexes
     Typically around 20% the size of the original text

   * Incremental indexing
     For addition, deletion and update.

   * Fast indexing
     NexTrieve will index 100MB of FAQ text in about 13 minutes on a fast PC
     (Pentium 133Mhz).

   * Client/Server operation
     As well as retrieval "on-demand", NexTrieve supports a text-retrieval
     server for optimum performance on large databases.

   * Attribute/tags
     Facilitates searching constrained by the presence of user defined
     document tags. Named boolean flags and integer tags can be associated
     with each document and later constrained with an expression during
     searching.

     An example may be

          constraint = date > 19960811 & ( value >= 10000 & value <
          20000) & category_a textquery = "laser"

     In this case the search for the targer "laser" will be constrained to
     documents that match the above conditions. In addition, the documents
     alone can be retrieved by constraint alone, providing a "structured"
     retrieval mode.

   * Multi-platform
     Currently NexTrieve is ported to BSDi, SunOS, Solaris, HPUX and SGI
     IRIX.

On-line demos

Sounds good? Check it out for your self. We maintain an on-line archive and
links to several NexTrieve indexed databases accessable from the page
http://www.nexial.nl/search.html. This collection includes several useful
databases, mostly relating to Internet technology, along with links to
various customer sites.

Some of the databases included in this collection are:

   * Firewalls mailing lists
   * BSDi-users mailing list
   * Cisco systems mailing list
   * Livingston portmaster mailing list
   * Ascend users mailing list
   * Hewlett Packard sysadmin mailing list
   * Usenet FAQ archives
   * HP Sysadmin mailing list
   * Sun-managers mailing list
   * The complete works of Shakespeare

Support

We pride ourselves in our support and strive to provide the best service to
our customers. Most support issues can be handled via E-mail or telephone,
but we can provide on-line remote support via telnet if desired and
permission is granted.

The flexible output format employed by NexTrieve means that it can be used
in many and varied environments. Examples include fault tolerant product
search as part of an on-line catalogue or electronic shop. If you have some
special Internet project, we can provide consulting for solutions or
guidelines on to use NexTrieve in your application.

Pricing

NexTrieve is priced at $5,000 USD/platform. NexTrieve lite is priced at
$1000 USD. Support/updates is free for the first three months, after which
an Updates/E-mail,telnet,Fax,phone support contract may be purchased for
15%/year.

Ordering

Send an E-mail to your contact person. They will arrange any details
necessary to setup NexTrieve for your particular site.

Contact details

Physical mail can be addressed to:

     Nexial Systems
     St. Annastraat 4
     Ohe en Laak
     6109 RH
     The Netherlands

     Ph : +(31) 475 551643
     Fax: +(31) 475 551643

     E-mail: sales@nexial.nl
-----------------------------------Cut here-----------------------------------
  - Cheers
    Kim Hendrikse
/                                                                             \
|Nexial Systems BV.             E-mail: kim@nexial.nl                         |
|                               Ph:  +31 475 551643                           |
|                               Internet phone: phone.nexial.nl               |
|                                 (Intel Internet Video phone)                |
|                               Fax: +31 475 551552                           |
|St. Annastraat 4                                                             |
|6109 RH                                                                      |
|Ohe en Laak                                                                  |
|The Netherlands                                                              |
|http://www.nexial.nl                                                         |

-----End of forwarded message-----
--
Wolfram Schneider   <wosch@apfel.de>   http://www.apfel.de/~wosch/