Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:03:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Machines are getting too damn fast

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     My understanding is that Intel focused on FP performance in the P4,
>     and that it is very, very good at it.  I dunno how to test it though.

From the benchmarks tom's hardware / others did, I got the impression that
SSE2 performance is awesome, but x87 FPU operations aren't really
improved, so the Athlon still has the advantage there.

>     GCC generally does not produce very good code, but I would expect that
>     it would get reasonably close in regards to FP because Intel's FP
>     instruction set is a good fit with it.
>
> 						-Matt

I'm quite confused about Intel's strategy wrt that compiler.  Every time
someone does a benchmark showing Intel's newest processor getting beat at
something, they send code compiled with it to the benchmarker.  However,
they haven't even attempted to make it a popular compiler.  Everything
I've seen/heard indicates that msvc and gcc are all that gets really used
on x86.

My only guess is that part of the company wants to have everyone use it to
get optimal performance out of intel processors, while the other half
wants people to be forced to buy faster processors.  This would explain
why it's still sold, but in such a way that nobody will really buy it.

(The reason I mention this is because someone was talking about trying to
compile the kernel with sun's CC.  Maybe rigging intel's compiler to do so
would be fruitful.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack