Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:15:26 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting to a Intel 2011 AP

Quoting Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Edwin Culp wrote:
>
> > I am trying to connect with a WaveLan card that has worked with every
> > hub I have tried from an old in-talk (now nokia) to an apple airport.
> >
> > For the Intel AP, I change the configuration to not use Short RF
> > Preamble.  On the wi0 I change the name -n and the port with -p and it
> > tries to work.  I can ping but when I try telnet, I get the login and
> > then the passwd then it hangs.  Web pages are the same way.  It looks
> > up the site, clears the browser screen and hangs.
>
> Make sure you actually enable the Wireless AP.  The one we got had it
> disabled so it essentially was a dumb brick (wouldn't do bridging or
> _anything_).
>
> I also disabled short preamble and it worked with the Lucent and Intel
> cards. (the intel pccards are a whole other ballgame by themselves)

I'm only using them in windows ME, if fact the only one I am depending on is
hanging from the rafters in a laptop that drives a projector, so I really
haven't even load tested it.  One thing that I did "have" to do was erease the
WaveLan driver so that it would recognize the Intel card.  Seems that there must
be some similarity there, just not enough for it to work.

With my laptop (current) I still get a hang on telnet and on webpages.  I sent a
short mail with no problem:-(  I don't understand.  I login in and it tells  me
when my last login was and hangs:-(  I just unplug the Intel and plugin an
airport or my old InTalk 2Mb AP and it works fine.  The IP doesn't even
change.(DHCP from internal server)  I'm going to let it rest and try to think:-)

BTW, have you tried these as a point to [multi]point bridge?

Thanks for all your help.

ed