Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2003 13:13:38 +0300
From:      den <moreau@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8139 unstable?

horio shoichi wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:01:15 +0300
>den <moreau@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

>>Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>>There have been reports of instabilities with the 8139.  I don't know
>>>if it's really the hardware to blame or the driver, but the
>>>documentation for the hardware is apparently so terrible that it's
>>>difficult to say.
>>>
>>>I'm using an 8139 in a number of places, including (currently) my main
>>>server machine.  The switch notes a large number of errors under load,
>>>and I'm thinking of changing to a different card the next time I have
>>>to reboot.
>>>
>>>Rather than reboot your machine, you'll probably find that the
>>>following sequence unwedges the card:
>>>
>>> ifconfig rl0 down
>>> ifconfig rl0 up
>>>
>>>I had this in a cron job at one point.
>>>
>>>Greg
>>>--
>>>When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>>>If you don't, I may ignore the reply or reply to the original recipients.
>>>For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>>>See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
>>>

>>I have had the problem with this card on FreeBSD 5.0.
>>Problem was resolved by recompiling of kernel with new drivers from Realtec.
>>It seems there is many modification of 8139 chipset that have a postfix
>>( "D", "C",...).
>>When I choose driver that match my chipset all become ok.
>>I don't know whether this driver was included in 5.1, so this is only
>>assumption, and it doesn't help to you.

>I found ftp://152.104.125.40/cn/nic/rtl8139abcd8130810xseries/freebsd-8139(110).zip
>via www.realtek.com.tw, which is for FreeBSD.
>
>However, it is for 4.5.
>
>Could you give me (us) your reference to 5.0 (or 5.x) ?
>

>horio shoichi

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found the diver.
Are you sure that dirver from link you pointed  isn't serve for 5.0 ?
I have had the problems with this card approximately in the same time as
changing system from 4.x to 5.0 .
Possibly , I fixed the problem in 4.x - not in 5.0 - I don't remeber
precisely. But now I have this card working under 5.0 and there is no
problem.