Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:34:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

For anyone who has followed this, 0.2.81 builds cleanly (assuming set
the GTK_CONFIG variable to point to gtk12-config) on -stable and works
fine ONCE I ENABLED DMA on the drive. (That means putting:
hw.ata.atpai_dma="1"
into my /boot/loader.conf file.)

When I say "works", I mean that I see the video start to play and hear
the initial audio. I have yet to try running a full movie.

When I did not have DMA enabled, I could occasionally get audio, but
no video. Even the audio played poorly.

Steps followed:
1. Download the tarball from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download.html.
     Both gzip and bzip2 files are available. The bz2 file is smaller.
2. Unpack (tar -xjf vlc-0.2.81.tar.bz2)
3. setenv GTK_CONFIG /usr/X11R6/bin/gtk12-config
4. ./configure
5. gmake (You will have to install the GNU make port for this to work.)
6. gmake install
7. gmake clean
8. ln -s /dev/acd0c /dev/dvd (this assumes an ATAPI DVD/CD drive)
9. Check DMA setting with "sysctl hw.ata.atapi_dma". Of it is 0, add the
     line in the first paragraph to /boot/loader.conf and reboot.
10.vlc dvd:/dev/dvd

If you don't have access to the dvd device, you will should probably
edit /etc/fbtab to get it. I don't recommend running anything as root
if you don't have to.

That's about all you need to do!

R. Kevin Oberman