Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 19:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sridhar Krishnan <skrishna@cisco.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager/ BSD on second disk (fwd)

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Sridhar Krishnan wrote:

> This is in response to my earlier posting re: booting FreeBSD off the
> second hard disk.
>
> I have not recvd. much any solutions thus far. When I re-installed the
> whole thing again, I got a message "root system is read-only" in a
> dialog-box. Does anybody know what this means ?

You forgot to blow off the FreeBSD partition before reinstalling.  Delete
the FreeBSD partition using fdisk and try again, or don't newfs the
partitions in the disklabel editor.

> - If I install the BootEasy (during the sysinstall), the MBR is put on the
> boot area of the second disk (because FreeBSD is on second disk ?). I
> changed BIOS to look at second disk first for booting purposes, and I got
> the F1- dos, F2- BSD prompt. F2 would boot fine from the hard disk but
> would error with a

[truncated]

Reinstall booteasy from the CDROM or ftp site onto your first disk.
Should be in /tools or /tools/dist.

It's a known bug in the install routines.