Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:20:51 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com, joe@via.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the best accellerated graphics card for XF86?

[ Over to -chat, not quite -hackers fare ]

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 12:58:34AM +0100, a little birdie told me
that Theo van Klaveren remarked
> On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:
> >
> > And, who is going to build us a FreeBSD Quake 1, now that the source is
> > out!
>
> Sorry, I only got as far as the server so far :-)
>
> The X11 client built, but there is a bug in Quake's assembly code
> (methinks) that produces a SIGBUS in memset() ... haven't investigated
> thourougly(sp?) yet.
>
> I'll try and build the GL client, but I haven't got high hopes...
> If anyone is intersted, I can give you my patches to the QuakeWorld
> code (it fixes the Linux CDROM code and some other Linux specific
> thingies).

I for one would love a good working console-mode run of Quake (I have a
Millenium II vid card, so...).  I've heard rumors from time to time of
ways of making it work, but I recall trying a few times and never getting
anywhere.  Main reason; I just can't Quake without using the mouse, which
just Doesn't Work (tm) under X11.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com