Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:12:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raw devices

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:30:21PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> where are raw devices in FreeBSD? do they exist at all?

and on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:45:17 +0100, Matthew Seaman responded:

> Actually, all devices under FreeBSD are raw or character devices.
> Block devices on the other hand disappeared a long time ago.  It's all
> to do with having an advance VM system, apparently:
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics-block.html

I checked out the referenced page, which began with something like:

			13.5 Block Devices (Are Gone)

   Other UNIX systems may support a second type of disk device known as
   block devices.  Block devices are disk devices for which the kernel
   provides caching.  This caching makes block-devices almost unusable,
   or at least dangerously unreliable.  The caching will reorder the
   sequence of write operations, depriving the application of the ability
   to know the exact disk contents at any one instant in time.  This makes
   predictable and reliable crash ...

I knew that the block devices were gone and that the block device names
now referred to character devices, but I had not examined the reasons for
this or considered the consequences.  Perhaps this explains why old SCSI
disks are such incredibly bad performers under modern FreeBD.  I had just
assumed that the drivers for the old SCSI host adapters had been botched
when rehacked for the new FreeBSD SCSI system and nobody cared because
they were all using modern SCSI host adapters.  The performance of my
old SCSI hardware is so egregiously abysmally atrociously abominably
inexcusably perversely bad that if I had to use it for my primary disk
storage I would now be running Linux instead of FreeBSD.  (Modern ATA
disks seem to work quite well under FreeBSD if you can somehow manage
to avoid ATA controller and cable misconfigurations that drive I/O rates
way down.)

Does anyone know if there are online records of discussions of such
issues?

Dan Strick