Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:39:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        Satoh Junichi <junichi@astec.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI Zip drive

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Mike Jeays wrote:

> > > Hmm...  I don't know why.
> >
> > I tested some combination of ATAPI devices, CD-ROM, ZIP and LS-120, on
> > an IDE channel. I found the kernel is down by combination of the 'accel'
> > and the 'intr' devices. For example, MATSUSHITA x24 CD-ROM drive and
> > IOMEGA ZIP drive:
> > ===========================================================================
> > wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <MATSHITA CR-587/7S13>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
> >                                                          ^^^^^
> > wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI/23.D>, removable, intr,
> >                                                                      ^^^^
> > ===========================================================================
> >
> > Now, when one device supports the 'intr', the atapi driver also supports
> > it. It's not correct. The driver should *NOT* support it when the other
> > device doesn't support it.
> >
> > I made a patch against the 2.2.6R atapi driver. After apply it, any
> > combinations are acceptable.
> > ---
> > Junichi

I installed the patch and recompiled the kernel.  Both my CD-ROM and
Iomega Zip drive function perfectly on the same controller (CD-ROM
as master).  I can even copy files from one directly to the other.

Thanks once again for the help.  I now have a fully functioning system,
and can screw the cover back on for the first time in weeks!