Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 11:23:22 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange reboot saga

"Greg Quinlan" writes:

> I am looking like an idiot!

You would look less like an idiot if you could demonstrate some
minor competence -- for instance, if your email had the correct
date on it instead of something in the middle of next week,
people might believe that you had set up your machine properly.

As it is, given the number of cases where it is clear that
people have shot themselves in the foot by faulty upgrades from
2.x, I'd suggest that the most likely thing is something like
that.  If you want help you have no alternative to following the
advice that has been posted here often enough already, together
with making very sure that you have a coherent installation and
a sane kernel config.

I've been running 3.1-R on a test machine (which I'm using for
software development) since the day my subscription CDs arrived
and it has not crashed once.  The maximum uptime so far is 17
days because I have to install experimental kernels from time to
time, but so far it looks as solid as my 2.2.8 boxes, all of
which have run non-stop since 15 February when I last rebuilt
their kernels.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>