Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:22:24 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        chris <neo@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new user woes

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 01:41:59AM -0700, chris wrote:
> Hello, two things,
>
> One, I have an extended fat32 partition on the same drive (ide) that
> FreeBSD 4.6 is installed on.  I have tried mounting it with 'mount -t msdos
> /dev/ad0s5 /mnt', but only to get a 'Device not configured' error.

Could you post the output of `mount`? I've once had troubles too with
mounting fat32 partitions since the slice-numbering often turns out to be
different from what you might expect.

> Second, I'm having difficulty getting my mouse to work properly in X.  It
> works in the console, but when I load either kde or gnome, the moment i
> move the mouse the slightest bit, it jumps to the topleft corner of the
> screen, sometimes opening a menu on the desktop.  It does not respond to
> mouse clicks, and moving the mouse does not do much.  It is a USB MS
> Intellimouse optical.  I have also tried using a generic ps/2 mouse, but I
> get the same error.

For moused in console use:
"moused -p /dev/ums0"
or set the appropriate values in /etc/rc.conf.

For X use:
"Options" "Protocol" "Auto"
"Options" "Device"   "/dev/sysmouse"
see `man 5 XF86Config`.

This should get the USB mouse working in both X and the console.

HTH
regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos