Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:05:29 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Conduct Unbecoming a Core Team Member

For several weeks now, a Core Team member whom I don't
know personally -- one Peter Wemm -- appears to be engaging
in a practice somewhere between spamming and mail bombing.
Each time I post a message to any mailing list to which
he happens to subscribes (including not only several FreeBSD
lists but also some others), an autoresponder sends a copy
of it back to me with a rude message plus reams of headers
attached. (An example appears below.)

It seems to me that this conduct is certainly a breach of
Netiquette and certainly unbecoming for a Core Team member.
While Mr. Wemm may not want to read anything I write,
it seems to me that automatically dumping copies of it back
in my mailbox -- with a nasty message prepended -- is not
only network abuse but a mild form of harassment. I'm quite
capable of rigging the server to trash any message received
from him, but unlike Mr. Wemm I don't believe in "tuning
out" anyone -- even someone whom I dislike. He or she might,
after all, have something valuable or insightful to say.

In any event, I obviously cannot reach this person to
complain about his breach of Netiquette and network abuse,
because his server is configured to reject it. (Yes, I
could resort to a "throwaway" mail account or some other
ruse, but this would be descending to his level.) Could
someone here -- perhaps some of the Core Team members --
contact Mr. Wemm and ask him to stop? His conduct sets a
bad example within an organization that supposedly takes
pride in having mature attitudes toward both software design
and project management.

--Brett Glass