Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 18:54:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make installworld problem

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Kent Stewart wrote:

> a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com wrote:
> >
> > Dear FreeBSD,
> >
> > Carefully following the instructions in the manual (chapter 19)
> > I would like to follow the 4 stable tree.
>
> The Handbook I was looking at has you do a buildworld, buildkernel,
> installkernel, reboot to single user, and installkernel. Did you do this?

Thanks, Kent.

Have the latest edition of the Handbook and tried to observe it
to the letter: delete /usr/opt, edit /etc/make.conf,do cd/
usr/src, do make buildworld, do make installworld. Then
buildkernel, installkernel. But I only got to "make installworld"
which produced the errors.

> > make buildworld completed without any problems.
> >
> > make installworld quit after the following error message (from
> > /var/tmp/iw.out):
> >
> > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 openssl /usr/bin
> > pod2man
> > /usr/source/secure/usr.bin/openssl/../../../crypto/openssl/apps/../doc/apps//openssl.pod > openssl.1
> > pod2man: not found
>
> Pod2man is a perl program. Did you build perl?

Yes, definitely. Must (or should) the thread support be switched
on in /etc/make.conf?

Must I do "cvs update -P -d" (see p. 379 Greg Lahey's book) in
/usr/src before doing make buildworld?

> Kent
>
> > *** Error code 127
> >
> > Then 7 times:
> > Stop in /directoryname
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > How must I correct this?
> >
> > Thanks and greetings,
> >
> > Lucien

At least trying to get on board stable costs me less than an
evening out.

Greetings,

Lucien