Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:41:19 HST
From:      osp@aloha.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot connect to Samba share

I have my FreeBSD 8.0 based NAT access point working. Besides being a
connection sharing gateway I want it to provide simple file and printer
sharing to all downstream clients. I have two test clients, one FreeBSD
7.1-RELEASE-p8, one Windows Vista Enterprise SP1.  In use the clients will
all be Vista. The FreeBSD client can connect with smbclient. The Vista
client cannot. The Vista configuration should be considered highly locked
down by GPO.

Firewall: ipfw

Firewall type: OPEN (until everything works)

Upstream network configuration via dhclient

Downstream network configuration via ISC dhcpd

Downstream DNS support via dnsmasq

When I logon to Vista I no longer get the warning about contacting a domain
controller. Running ipconfig /all shows all TCP/IP settings correct for
downstream DHCP (in 10.0.1. subnet). I can reach our Intranet SharePoint
server. I can get to Google. I can connect to Exchange mail server. I can
ping my samba server. Samba netbios name is same as hostname.

Just one account on Samba server to connect to share, "theusername" which
is not the same as the AD user name.

When I execute from a Vista command prompt

   net use x: \\myserver\ashare /user:myserver\theusername

I am prompted for a password. When I give the correct password I get
"System error 67 has occurred. The network name cannot be found." Using the
same info I can connect using smbclient on the FreeBSD client, on same
private subnet connected to the same hub.

When I give the same command but with wrong password I get "System error 86
has occurred. The specified network password is not correct."

This suggests that Samba is processing the password correctly, and that the
failure occurs at the Vista end after authentication. Sort of a session
setup failure.

Any suggestions on how to collect more data to help pinpoint the cause of
failure would be appreciated. What am I looking for? Perhaps someone
already knows how to fix this? All suggestions welcome.

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project