Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:36:37 +0600
From:      "Eugene Panchenko" <replicator@ngs.ru>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More than 6 partitions on one slice?

> > I'm afraid that I can't use b since it's my swap...
>
> OK, but in general this works.

Oh, no doubt, I was speaking only for my case...

> > > if you're using a PC, you can create 4 slices in
> > > Microsoft partitions
> >
> > I've already have used up all 4 partitions for QNX,
> > NetBSD, MSDOS622 (yeah, I admit), and, of course,
> > FreeBSD :)
>
> OK, but in general this works.

Same thing here ;-)

> There are a large number of reasons why this won't work.
> The most obvious one is the question of device nodes:
> the minor number only has three bits for the partition
> number, so it wouldn't work.  You'd be better off with
> the Vinum solution.

:-((  But your explanation is very good, thanks!..

> I still have difficulty believing you need this many
> partitions.

The reason is quite simple, consider my current layout:

  /         a
  swap      b
  /var/ftp  d  /var      e  /tmp      f
  /usr      g
  /home     h
And I have about 50G (out of 80G) left.  I'd like to use
it for, say, /mnt/media, or something like that.  I also
want to mount /var/www separately -- so much easier for
doing backups (oh I *love* dump/restore ;-))

Thanks again!!!