Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:08:55 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My planned work on networking stack

"Bjoern A. Zeeb" wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I put this up for coordination and cooperation in my planned work on the
> > FreeBSD networking system.  This is my todo list of things I want to do
> > from now through summer 04.  If you are or intend to work on one of these
> > please step forward so we can coordinate.  :-)
> >  [] other stuff that I happen to stumble over... ;-)
>
> I still have in mind that I would like to see vimage[1] in HEAD one day
> ... I think it would be a pretty cool feature to have. If one can keep
> this in mind when doing greater modelling on the network stack it
> might help the one who will - at some time - find the time to
> ingtegrate it.

I have seen your work and it is very interesting from a research point
of view.  For a normal kernel I don't see any benefit to it.  Often jails
are pointed out for it but I don't think this really makes sense.  If
you go as far as giving each jail it's own network stack including
routing (what for in a jail?) then you can make the full leap and do
something like userland BSD akin the userland Linux.  Then each jail
gets it's own fully virtualized machine.  Makes more sense to me than
just giving them a network stack on their own.  Don't get me wrong,
it's very cool but the net benefit and usefulness in realworld situations
is pretty small.

--
Andre