Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:51:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade hack idea

I just did an upgrade from libpng.so.3 to libpng.so.4 on one of my
machines.  I did not want to recompile the client applications, and I
did want to keep some record of the installation of this library and
its dependencies so I remember to delete it when I do recompile those
clients.

I went through the following steps, which seem to be fairly
automatable, and would make a nice script hack (on the level of
`save_shared_libraries png-1.0.5 png-compat-1.0.5').

# cp -p /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.3 /usr/local/lib/compat
# ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/compat
# : edit /etc/rc.conf to add this ldconfig path to the standard ones
# cd /var/db/pkg
# cp -rp png-1.0.5 png-compat-1.0.5
# pkg_delete -f png-1.0.5
# : edit png-compat-1.0.5/+CONTENTS to delete almost everything
# : edit dependencies' +CONTENTS file to change name of depended package
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/png
# make install

-GAWollman