Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:30:07 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *** Real Action Item: SPECweb

First, I've been asked to choose one -list or another, so let's all
limit this to -hardware and not -advocacy, since it's really getting too
deep for our enthusiastic types over there.

I think our answer to the 'stable storage' rule you quoted is that we
get a couple of 512M FlashROM disks for the data files. That satisfies
both the spirit and the letter of the rules. This is right in line with
the 'Philosophy' section. I would definitely recommend Solid State
storage over rotating media for a webserver, especially directly wired
to the PCI memory map if we can get it. Notice they didn't say cost had
to be a consideration! ;) I see that a 512M flash Drive is $12849 each.
A battery backed DRAM drive of 256M is $1695+the DRAM cost. It has 12
hours of backup; I'd say that is 'stable' enough for a webserver which
will be on 24x7 duty. Max read-rate speed is only 10MB, sustained
transfer is less, but still pretty fast and the access time is quoted as
"<0.1ms" for either. I'm certain there would be no comparison between
these and any disk drive!!!

We use disks only for logs, volatile data files and non-essential system
files. As I see it, we are allowed to use RAM to hold as many server
daemons as we want, and it doesn't say anything about a requirement for
CGI. Am I correct in assuming that this is purely HTML and graphics
files?

Back to disk controllers for a second. I see in my ICS catalog that
there is a DPT controller (PM3334/UW3) that supports 3 SCSI bus strings
in RAID 0. Comments?

On the earlier question of Apache vs. Zeus, I'm still inclined to stick
with Apache. Again my reasoning is that we are out to promote freeware,
and Apache is a known name even to the Wall Street Journal. I'm going to
out there for other single-processor machines, but I'll bet using
ROM/B-DRAM disks will multiply our throughput up to the point where
we're back to net performance as _the_ issue.

Speaking of which, the price differential between the normal Intel
10/100 and the SERVER version is $484.00. I'd say there's a 960 in
there...