Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:50:19 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pwd_mkdb max uid warning.

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:46:20 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> This code is not obsolete.  Bruce Evans brought to my attention at least
> two problem areas:  IDs used by NFS, and IDs used by the linuxulator.

Bleh, I didn't finish my message. :-(

I recently added to pwd_mkdb(8) in CURRENT, an option (-q) to suppress
warnings about large IDs.  The interesting revisions are:

	rev 1.11	pw_scan.c
	rev 1.2		pw_scan.h
	rev 1.13	pwd_mkdb.8
	rev 1.33	pwd_mkdb.c

I'm not sure whether this will be merged to the STABLE branch.  I
certainly can't see any reason why it shouldn't be.  Just remember,
should you choose to use this option, that it doesn't resolve the issues
surrounding large IDs; it just allows you to silence the warnings if you
don't care about the issues. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.