Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2017 19:30:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
To:        emilia@disroot.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about nvidia driver

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, the wise emilia@disroot.org wrote:

> Hello there, i have been using the nvidia 340 driver for some time with
> an older nvidia gpu, now i have a gtx 960 and decided to use the newest
> nvidia driver. In order to use X11 I load the nvidia-modeset
> kernelmodule, X11 works nicely but now all other tty's (0-7) are
> completely messed up and only show gibberish, is there some fix for
> that?

Afaik this has been in FreeBSD since the switch from sc to vt. I'm not
sure though if it's a vt or a Nvidia bug.

Only solution I know of is to put hw.vga.textmode=1 in /boot/loader.conf.
Drawback is that you don't get graphics mode in your console but old
fashioned pre-vt console fonts.

Regards,
Marco

--
Only two kinds of witnesses exist.  The first live in a neighborhood where
a crime has been committed and in no circumstances have ever seen anything