Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:05:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on new SCSI hardware

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Chris Dillon wrote:

> I'm finally looking into getting some REAL drives on this beast of mine
> (SCSI as opposed to IDE), and have considered several options.  The card I
> am most likely going to use is the Tekram DC-390F (i believe that is the

  Tekram?  Why?  All the tekram controllers I know are dogs.

  A NCR875 based card (like the Diamand Fireport 40) are pretty cheap, and
fast.  The Adaptec 2940 series performs a bit better handling lots of
requests, but is kinda of expensive.  However, some motherboards come with
aic7880 (Adaptec) UW controller on the motherboard, for way less.

> Ultra Wide card), and am debating which drives to go with it.  The
> cheapeast I have seen so far were from Corporate Systems
> (www.corpsys.com), the 2.1GB Seagate 32430WD (which they tag as just
> Wide-SCSI), and the 4.3GB Micropolis 3243W (which they call a Ultra-Wide
> SCSI3 drive.. the model number is suspiciously close to the Seagate's.
> Typo?).  I've heard some people really complain about the Micropolis

  I have two Micropolis 3243 drives.  I don't belive they make these
anymore, as I got mine almost two years ago.  I hate them.  One of them is
flaky (locks up, and requires a _power cycle_ before it will respond to a
problem).  They also run hot.

  I don't reconize that Seagate model number, but I like the Seagate
Barracuda 4LP or 4XL series.  I have about 15 2GB and 4GB 4XL or 4LP
drives, and they work well.  Very reliable, and very fast.  No failures to
date (they are used 24x7).

> Concerning the swap area (which will be on these drives), which is better:
> setting the drives to be entirely consumed by the ccd partitions and
> putting the swap within the virtual ccd, or just leave some free space on

  You can put swap in the virtual ccd?  I guess you could disklabel ccd0c
disk, but I just newfs it, and mount it.

> each drive outside of the ccd and swap from there? (I'm thinking the
> latter is the best option, but I figured I should ask.)

  Probably.

> --- Chris Dillon
> --- cdillon@tri-lakes.net
> --- Powered by FreeBSD, the best operating system on the planet.
> ---- (http://www.freebsd.org)

Tom