Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 20:31:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netfinity 5600 patches

On Tue, 9 May 2000 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > I still have uncommitted patches that add support for the Netfinity
> > 5600's host-to-PCI bridge. They're not perfect, but they work fine.
> >
> >         <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~des/software/>;
>
> As far as I can see, these patches aren't needed for 4.0-STABLE. I
> have a 4.0-STABLE system here with no kernel patches, and it seems
> to be working fine. Note that there is already support for the RCC
> chipsets in /sys/i386/isa/pcibus.c. See attached boot messages.
>
> For 3.x, isn't Andrew Gallatin's patch more general? See
> http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=60828+0+archive/2000/freebsd-smp/20000423.freebsd-smp
>
> However, if anybody can tell me why there seems to be quite a bit
> of overlap between nexus_pcib_is_host_bridge (/sys/i386/isa/pcibus.c)
> and chip_match (/sys/pci/pcisupport.c), I'd be happy. Examples of
> overlap are: 0x00011039 (SiS 5591 host to AGP bridge) and 0x00051004
> (VLSI 82C592 Host to PCI bridge).

The code in sys/i386/pcibus.c is used to search for all the host-pci
bridges so that nexus can grow toplevel pcib instances for each one. The
stuff in pcisupport is just informational. In fact, I'm planning to chop
it out soon since I want to be able to attach an AGP driver to some of
those devices.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com