Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:58:12 +0300
From:      "Anatoliy.Poloz" <Anatoliy.Poloz@onetelecom.od.ua>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, ddg@yan.com.br, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW MAX RULES COUNT PERFORMANCE

Bill Moran wrote:

>> Very good thinking, congratulations, but my need is another.
>> The objective is a Captive Porrtal that each authentication is
>> dynamically created a rule to ALLOW or COUNT IP authenticated, which I'm
>> testing is what is the maximum capacity of rules supported, therefore
>> simultaneous user.
>>
>> Understand ?
>
> If you're only doing allow, then you'd be better off using a table,
> which has much better performance than a bunch of separate rules.
>
> If you're counting packets, I don't know if that approach will work
> or not.

if u need to count ip traffic for all clients u can use sipmple and more
performance rule set, like this one:

LOCAL_NET=192.168.0.0/24

ipfw pipe 100 config bw 0 mask src-ip 0xffffffff
ipfw pipe 100 config bw 0 mask dst-ip 0xffffffff

ipfw add 100 pipe 100 ip from ${LOCAL_NET} to any out
ipfw add 200 pipe 200 ip from any to ${LOCAL_NET} in