Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:21:44 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld problem

"A. L. Meyers" wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Kent Stewart wrote:
>

> > a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear FreeBSD,
> > >
> > > Carefully following the instructions in the manual (chapter 19)
> > > I would like to follow the 4 stable tree.
> >
> > The Handbook I was looking at has you do a buildworld, buildkernel,
> > installkernel, reboot to single user, and installkernel. Did you do this?
> >
> Thanks, Kent.
>
> Have the latest edition of the Handbook and tried to observe it
> to the letter: delete /usr/opt, edit /etc/make.conf,do cd/
> usr/src, do make buildworld, do make installworld. Then
> buildkernel, installkernel. But I only got to "make installworld"
> which produced the errors.

Well, there is a lot of discussion about not doing it that way. I happen to
be one of the people that got bit doing it that way on 4.0 and I haven't
used that scheme since. In my world, the installworld is the very last thing
you should do. The reason is that you can recover from a bad kernel but you
can't recover after you have installed a world that is bad.

The Handbook on the CD's doesn't have it quite this way but the new one on
www.freesbd.org does. The sections of 19.4.6.2-10 cover how I build my world
and kernel. There is a lot of extraneous discussion on options that you can
use. I first encountered mergemaster on 3.2. They were making fixes faster
than I could update /etc. Then, I found that I could take care of that in
minutes by using mergemaster. You just have to use it wisely.

> > > make buildworld completed without any problems.
> > >
> > > make installworld quit after the following error message (from
> > > /var/tmp/iw.out):
> > >
> > > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 openssl /usr/bin
> > > pod2man
> > > /usr/source/secure/usr.bin/openssl/../../../crypto/openssl/apps/../doc/apps//openssl.pod > openssl.1
> > > pod2man: not found
> >
> > Pod2man is a perl program. Did you build perl?
> >

> Yes, definitely. Must (or should) the thread support be switched
> on in /etc/make.conf?

I don't have threaded support turned on. The ports may use it but the only
options for the world and kernel are "-O -pipe".

> Must I do "cvs update -P -d" (see p. 379 Greg Lahey's book) in
> /usr/src before doing make buildworld?

I don't use cvs. I ran a program called cvsup and it updates my sources.
Installing it as a package is the easiest. There is some Modula support you
have to have installed if you build the port. The sample supfiles are in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/. For FreeBSD 4.3-stable, you set the
tag=RELENG_4.

Since some of your source isn't installing, I'm not sure where to go. The
first rule is to re-cvsup but that usually assumes that a build died and not
the install. Pod2man wasn't built and I'm assuming you didn't have the full
source. I think I would try cvsup'ing RELENG_4 and see if the problem goes
away. BTW, I always cvsup before I do my buildworld. I kind of use a
buildworld as a benchmark of my system and I have a script called mkworld to
do that. It cd's to the proper directory and uses my typical set of options.
I don't have to type the long string in this way. I run it using "time
mkworld" and then record the line from time.

>From the listing of the mirrors on freebsd.org, find the closest one to you.
I use cvsup8, which is in Washington state and about 200 miles from where I
live. It is not my fastest mirror. That is frequently across the USA on the
east coast. It all depends on activity.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart