Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:08:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
To:        mshaber@awaretech.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does 'NOQUEUE: Null connection from <ip/domain>' mean?

> What exactly does "NOQUEUE: Null connection from <ip/domain>" mean?  I
> have  seen these entries in my maillog infrequently, and I am concerned
> that  someone may be trying to compromise my system.

I think it happens when someone connects to your machine and tests whether or not it will relay mail not to your domain.

Try this:

telnet localhost 25

helo there

mail from:<test@aol.com>
rcpt to:<test@msn.com>

(I may have the mail and rcpt lines reversed).

Sendmail should then say something like "relaying denied" at which point you will control ] out of sending the mail, and check the log... I bet you see the same error.

TjL