Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:05:46 +1000
From:      freebsd-stable@auscert.org.au
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA failure with 4.6.2 & 250GB drive?

Hi Scott,

> OK, swapped out the cable (from an 80- to 40-wire one, as it happened,
> although that should make no difference on a UDMA33 controller).  Same
> errors appeared again while the backups were running.

FWIW, I have had _major_ problems (ie drive failure) when trying to use
an 80 wire cable on a UDMA33 board with  an ATA66 drive - I would recommend
never using 80 wire cables on controllers that don't support UDMA66 or
better. The reverse, using 80 wire cables on UDMA66 (or better) controllers
with ATA33 drives is ok, however, and I've done that successfully.

Once bitten, twice shy :)

regards,
-- joel --
AusCERT, ITS, Uni of Qld, Australia -- hotline: [+61] [07] 33654417
my opinions in this email are not endorsed by AusCERT or Uni of Qld
this message may not be onforwarded without my expressed permission