Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 22:39:37 -0400
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any opinions on CUPS or LPRng?

Hello,

I am looking at installing an alternate printing system on our network, and
was wondering if anyone had any experiences/suggestions regarding LPRng or
CUPS.

The basic BSD LPD is working well for us, but is becoming unmanageable on
the client side. Every time we make printer changes on our print servers, I
have to propagate the change to all the clients, creating a separate spool
directory on each client for each printer it will access. I could do this
through creative scripting, but if I can achieve this through installing a
more scalable printing system, I would rather do that.

Basically, it looks like my only two options are LPRng and CUPS. I tend to
lean towards LPRng because I am quite familiar with the LPD system, but I
am open to CUPS if it is a better solution. Is there anyone out there with
experience who can comment on either one of these packages? I am mostly
concerned with any issues regarding stability and reliability, but any
experiences positive or negative are welcome.

---
Damien Tougas
Systems Administrator
Carroll-Net, Inc.