Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:36:11 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help re: Make Install Kernel=MYKERNEL

> "Tomlinson, Drew" wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > Ok, I've completed all of the steps and the new kernel boots.
> > > However, I'm still not sure if I had my kernel config file
> correct.
> > > I can't mount my CDROM drive.  And I concerned about the line
> "isa0:
> > > too many dependant configs (8)".  Can you see any problems?  My
> > > kernel config follows the boot messages for your reference.
> >
> > I don't know about the isa0 either but down below you have a acd0c
>
> > CDROM and you should be able to just say "mount /cdrom"
>
> OK, thanks.  I was suffering from cerebral flatulence and trying
> "mount /cd9660".  :)

I always heard that was a Braino. That was funny. You shouldn't forget
that for a few days :). You never know what game your mind will pull
on you. It was almost bad enough to be what I call a flat-forehead
error. If you whack your forehead enough times, it will start to
flatten out.

> [snip]
>
> > > Doing initial network setup: hostname domain.
> > > ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>
> > >         inet 192.168.0.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
> 192.168.0.255
> > >         inet6 fe80::240:5ff:fe66:b255%ed0 prefixlen 64 tentative
>
> > > scopeid 0x2
> > >         ether 00:40:05:66:b2:55
> > > lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> > >         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xa
> > >         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> > >         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> > > add net default: gateway 192.168.0.254
> >
> > You have your ed0 NIC now. Can you ping your machine from one of
> the
> > other systems? You should be able to use your network at this
> point.
> > Your ed0 parameters look good. What about your resolv.conf and
> hosts?
>
> [snip]
>
> > > My kernel config file:
>
> [snip]
>
> > You have some excess stuff here
>
> What can I get rid of?

I think you can get rid of all of the next 6 devices but not any of
the pseudo's..

> > > device          ie0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
> > > device          fe0     at isa? port 0x300
> > > device          le0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
> > > device          lnc0    at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 drq 0
> > > device          cs0     at isa? port 0x300
> > > device          sn0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10
> > > # requires PCCARD (PCMCIA) support to be activated
> > > #device         xe0     at isa?
> > >
> > > # Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to
> allocated.
> > >
> > > pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
> > > pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
> > > pseudo-device   sl      1       # Kernel SLIP
> > > pseudo-device   ppp     1       # Kernel PPP
> > > pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
> > > pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
> > > pseudo-device   md              # Memory "disks"
> > > pseudo-device   gif     4       # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
> > > pseudo-device   faith   1       # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying
> > > (translation)
> > >
> > > # The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
> > > # Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
> > > pseudo-device   bpf             #Berkeley packet filter
> > >
> > > # USB support
> > > ...All commented out...
> > >
> > > # USB Ethernet, requires mii
> > > ...All commented out...
> >
> > I would comment out all of the IPv6 stuff. What is your network
> status
> > at this point?
>
> My network is up.  I can ping, telnet, ftp, etc.  Once I sucessfully
> compiled my kernel, the networking stuff resolved itself.
> Everything seems to be working OK.

You got to see the effect of an out of sync world up front. All too
often people get by with things and then they hit the problem. Their
"but it worked before" doesn't mean much :).

> Is there any pressing need to recompile without the IPV6 and the
> excess stuff you mention above?  If there's not, then I will wait as
> my 486 seems to take about 4 hours to build and install a new
> kernel.

No pressing need for this or the excess devices. You can just make
them comments and wait for when you have a real need to compile your
kernel. Just remember that you changed them so that if they don't work
you can back out the changes. It has been a real struggle and when
there is a sense of victory is when it is time to relax for a little
while.

> Your help has been invaluable and I thank you.  Now I'm off to DNS
> (which I know nothing about either) :)

I don't run named on my system. I use my ISP dns servers. I add two
lines to resolv.conf and by-pass some work on my part. There are times
when I wish I had spent the time but the need wasn't bad enough to get
me started.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart