Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:45:09 +0800
From:      "Debashis Ghosh" <debighosh@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dell Optiplex issue with Free BSD

Hi,

I have 2 Dell Optiplex GX150 desktops....specs are Pentium 3 @ 1Ghz , 512 MB
RAM and Intel 815 Chipset with 20 GB HDD. I was running Red Hat Linux 7.1 on
one of them and it runs XWindows without issues. I am running FreeBSD on the
other box....although FreeBSD is a lot faster than Linux I have a major
issue....I cannot get X Windows to work on the Free BSD box.... I have tried
all the possible solutions that I could find on the web.... I upgraded the X
Windows version, loaded the agpgart module and even tried the patch given on
the Intel website.... however X windows refuses to work. I can get XF86 to
work only in one mode generic SVGA....that wouldn't have been so bad but the
problem is the screen resolution is limited to only 600 x 480 ...... that is
too small a desktop for my requirements....any attempt to change the
resolution causes the XF86 server to crash.

I am at a loss how to fix this.....Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Debashis