Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2014 20:40:46 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        fortran@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with gfortran

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 10:19:10PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On 09/09/14 21:26, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 08:23:30PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> >> While here, I think it should be possible to drop libstdc++ into an
> >> independent port and have all the  g++ ports use libc++ by default.
> >>
> > I'm no expert on this, but I suspect that g++ will be unhappy with
> > libc++. libstdc++ and libc++ simply are incompatible.
> >

> It should be somewhat like using stlport with g++ and libc++
> supports the standards well enough that it should just work.

The problem is that libc++ doesn't support GNU C++.

> At least the contrary; having libstdc++ work compatibly with
> clang, is already possible:
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

I suspect that that is not even close to what is needed.  Last
time I tried to use news/pan, it died a miserable death.  It uses
a g++-ism, which clang does not support, and from what I've
inferred from a certain developer clang will never support this
g++-ism.   When the gcc to clang switch was pulled, news/pan
would not build with clang.  So someone had the brilliant idea
to simpy use g++ with news/pan.  Unfortunately, one also needs
to re-compile some (all?) libraries, which are written in C++,
that news/pan uses because libstdc++ and libc++ are incompatible.
I've been down that road.  I now use thunderbird to read USENET. :(

--
Steve