Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:26:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        zach@uffdaonline.net
Cc:        kelly@plutotech.com, netmonger@genesis.ispace.com, brownicm@prokyon.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

On 12 Jan, Zach Heilig wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 07:31:50PM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> But in my home, yes.  The machine room (well, machine closet is more
>> accurate), has a rack with my main fileserver in it, which recently got
>> a sound card installed into it.  I've been using "tosha" (in the ports
>> collection) to "rip" the data off audio CDs and saving them to disk.
>> I'm using "sox" to convert the raw PCM data into .wav format.  And I'm
>> using the 8hz MP3 encoder (see http://www.8hz.com) to encode them.  8hz
>> provides a FreeBSD binary of their encoder free of charge.

There are licensing problems with Fraunhofer. Due to this problems,
they stopped the public distribution.
If you are lucky, you may find the software with ftp-search ;)

> FWIW, I've noticed that stuff encoded with 8hz doesn't always sound quite
> right.  It's very subtile, but can become annoying at times.  There is another
> free mp3 encoder at ' http://bladeenc.home.ml.org ', with a BSDi binary (not
> sure if there is a FreeBSD one there or not, I haven't looked for a few
> months).  This one has far better sound to my ears.

ML-ORG shut down.
The original bladeenc-site is:
  http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-82625/

as long as the author finds a new URL-redirection-service.
The transferrates from this site to germany are horribly low
(ca. 56 Byte/s).

Malte.
--
Malte Lance.