Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 15:03:19 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Christopher T. Jewett" <ctjewett@zdnetonebox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy?  I think not.

Christopher T. Jewett said on May 31, 2001 at 08:45:19:

> They're not stopping their, either.  After Gnome 2.X is released in mid
> 2002, it will be the *default* desktop on Solaris.  HP isn't sitting
> on it's duff either.
>
> As for commercial Unix vendors not helping the desktop initiative, all
> one has to do is visit gnome.org and see the incredible list of financial
> backers they've got.  Just take a look here:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/commsupp.html
>
> It's going to take a lot of work, but Unix for the desktop is coming,
> and in a *BIG* way.

So -- GNU comes to the rescue of Sun and HP?

I agree, it's a lot of work.  The GNOME and KDE people put in that
work in the last 3 years, while the commercial people sat back
satisfied with CDE (which I'll admit was fine for 1994, and an
improvement over what existed earlier).  Now both projects have their
infrastructure more or less in place, and the applications will
follow.

- Rahul