Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:14:06 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: virus announcements?

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 03:53:02PM -0500, Coranth Gryphon wrote:
> I know that this is a general security list, but is is appropriate
> to post virus announcements here for beasties which cannot affect
> FreeBSD (or any unix) directly?

FREEBSD-SECURITY                Security issues
FreeBSD computer security issues (DES, Kerberos, known security
holes and fixes, etc).

So, I would think not.  There are a number of well-established
lists for virus warnings, and 'general' security problems.  Viruses,
as these are discussed, are

- not a concern for a FreeBSD system, directly.  If it is revealed
  that a virus 'tickles' a badly configured system utility, then
  notice should be sent out that the utility is badly configured
  (which is now the concern).  I feel then that the virus is then
  immaterial.

- not usually a concern for UNIX users, for (in general) they don't
  use tools that run arbitrary code.  (That's why a lot of informed
  people turn off Java and Javascript in a browser.)

I feel that the core issue of UNIX security is to keep users (local or
remote) from hurting each other, or the system.  If they want to
adopt practices wherein they hurt themselves, that's their problem.

> -coranth

Hey!  Long time no see!

> PS> And maybe it's just me, but sending a virus alert about attachments
> and putting the data in an attachment, seems to defeat the purpose...

I've never seen a virus alert about an 'attachment'.  I've seen
alerts about specific document types, that may be stored in an
attachment via email.  Said document types may also be retrieved
by a web browser, or utilized from a local hard drive.

In all of these cases, the virus is activated (ie., granted control)
_by the viewing tool_, not by the storage/retrieval/MIME mechanism.

Configuring a personal environment that runs arbitrary code supplied
from the internet is silly.  Pie In the Sky: it would not be an issue
of people used real software.

And as for using attachments to store separate discrete documents,
well, isn't that what they're _for_?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Current daytime number: (603)-434-6842