Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:27:37 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        tonspaan@xs4all.nl (Ton Spaan)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get on the net

This belongs on -questions, not -newbies. That being said, here's a few pointers...

On Thursday 20 September 2001 06:44, Ton Spaan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I build my first FreeBSD server. I tried.
> I got both of my NIC's working.

Pretty work.

> One of them gets his configuration from the DHCP server of my cable
> provider.
> The other one I managed to bind IP to for my local network.
> If I connect trough a hub to this NIC I can send a ping and get a
> replay.

You have already gotten a lot further on your own than a lot of folks do.

> But when I configure my IE to use this FreeBSD as a proxy I get the
> message page not found.

I think what you want is a gateway/router w/NAT rather than a proxy.

> I also can't ping a server or an IP-number on the net.
>
> I guess it has something to do with the DNS configuration.

If you're can't ping IP numbers, it's not a DNS problem; it's more basic than
that. What's happening is that you can ping the inside (your LAN) interface
of the FreeBSD box, but the FreeBSD box doesn't know how to send the packets
from its inside interface to its outside interface. I would assume that you
cannot ping the outside interface of your FreeBSD box. So first, you want it
to act as a gateway. Read the man page for rc.conf.

Next, if your LAN is using private IP addresses, nothing on the Internet will
route them. You need to have them translated to the IP of your outside
interface, which is a public IP address and will be routed. This is Network
Address Translation (NAT). If you have a dial-up modem there's one method; if
you have a broadband connection there's another method.

> I downloaded and installed a DHCP server for my FreeBSD machine.
> But I don't know how to configure it.

Like I said, that's more than some 'newbies' can manage. Look at the man page
for dhcpd (the demon) and at the man page for dhcpd.conf (the config file).

> The DNS server does it has to be the DNS server of my provider?

The short answer is yes.

> Do I need to configure a gateway?

Yes.

I'm going to move this to -questions. Look there for replies.