Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 12:08:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

> Merely that they don't seem to think it's important, either from
> an advocacy point of view or purely as a social nicety, whether
> newbies tend to be flamed in IRC: "it's none of our business".

You're absolutely right, what goes on in IRC is none of our business.
Thank you for encapsulating the argument in a nutshell.

It's none of our business because we don't have any control over the
medium and anyone who tries to control it quickly becomes enmeshed in
an escallating arms race of channel-holding bots and scripts to kick
offenders who then retaliate by packet flood attacks and/or coming
back under a variety of nicks from a variety of places.  Do you
HONESTLY think that the FreeBSD project has nothing better to do than
play the equivalent of the UN in Mogadishu?  That's just crazy.

It's also pointless to talk about what "the linux community" is doing
since we're not the linux community in either size or operating style
and such comparisons are effectively meaningless.  If you want to
self-appoint yourself as an IRC emergency response team for dealing
with these problems, just as various Linux folks have self-appointed
themselves, then by all means go ahead - knock yourself out.  That's
how things work in both communities.  If you want to write to Linus
Torvalds and demand that he do something about a guy who insulted you
in #linuxos then you'll also probably find that this works the same in
both communities as well - you'll be dismissed with great contempt for
bringing the wrong issue to the wrong person(s) and then you can flame
"the Linux folks" for not taking your issues seriously for a change.

- Jordan