Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:49:42 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This isn't posible is it?

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 01:49:11AM -0700, want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Matthew,
>
> I will look into your suggestion.  However, it still looks like that won't
> be able to use nt authentication for each ftp user.  That probably isn't
> possible.
>
> At 1st I was thinking that the user logging in would execute a script which
> would connect to the nt share as themselves.  Unfortunately, it looks like I
> must stay with IIS :(
It might be possible to do this if you mount the NT share with that username in their
'shell', if you set vfs.usermount to 1 (sysctl).

I'm not sure how smbfs handles authentication, but i guess it should be
possible to use user=$USER and password=`cat ~/.mypasswd` (where
~/.mypasswd is mode 600). Putting such mount instruction in a shell
script and setting that as shell is trivial. I don't know how to handle
umounting, maybe having a cron script check if a user is still logged
on, and umount if the share isn't in use anymore.

HTH
Alson
(BTW, please write your reply below the previous message, it makes it
more readable)